Mercury rules communication, travel, technology and the legal system. When Mercury is in retrograde, these areas of life are at their absolute weakest point.
It is the absence of Mercurial Energy that is the cause of these problems.
Everyone is impacted by Mercury Retrograde to varying degrees, all based on the position of Mercury in your natal chart at the moment you were born. Having a natal chart reading with an experienced astrologer will help you understand Mercury's importance in your life and how it will impact you during its retrograde.
For the majority of people (myself included), Mercury Retrograde is a very unpleasant time. Between constant technical difficulties, miscommunication and change of travel plans, these are the most unproductive stretches of time throughout the year.
What To Avoid During Mercury Retrograde:
- International travel, particularly to conflict-stricken countries. Now is not the time for extreme cultural contrast.
- Confrontations and difficult conversations. Keep the drama or special requests to a bare minimum.
- Do not ask for a raise, do not go to couples counseling and do not try to solve problems with family members. Communication will be at its weakest point until a week after Mercury Retrograde.
- Do not file important paperwork. Do not file your taxes (or even prepare paperwork), do not file divorce papers and do not sign important documents.
- Avoid large purchases, such as homes or cars. And if you must, please triple-check all contracts!
- Medical treatments are safe during this time, but be prepared for scheduling delays.
- Clerical errors are extremely common during this time, so verify (and re-verify) your prescriptions to make sure you were prescribed the correct product and dosage!
The pre-shadow begins July 7th, 2018, which means you can expect miscommunications and technical glitches to begin to ramp up. Moving databases or servers? Repairing electrical problems in your car? Submitting new construction plans for approval? Get everything important done before July 7th, 2018!
Mercury officially goes retrograde in Leo on July 25th, 2018 at 10:05PM PST. Time to slow down and pay close attention to the list from above.
On August 18th at 9:25PM PST, Mercury goes direct. But don't forget to triple-check everything just yet! For many people, a boomerang effect makes the week after Mercury direct even worse. This Mercury post-shadow will impact us until September 1st, 2018 at 6:37PM PST.