You Will Need:
- Prepare an offering of food or drink that would be most enjoyed by the particular ancestral spirit. Perhaps glass of Barbera for your Italian grandfather, a slice of Dulce de Leche cake for your Argentinian grandmother or a Cuban cigar for your jolly uncle. If you would prefer doing a general ancestral ritual, simply use a glass of dry red wine.
- Pen and paper.
- If contacting a specific deceased family member, place a copy of their photograph on your ritual table.
- If your ritual is for general ancestors and not a specific person, create an alternative ancestral too, such as a dark bowl of water, a crystal ball or a large labradorite stone nearby.
- If contacting a specific deceased family member, have an item that a deceased beloved relative owned or gave you. Keep this item nearby or on your lap during the ritual.
- Old World Witchcraft Oracle Ritual Blend
- 1 Old World Ritual Candle (to extend the ritual and prolong communication, have a couple extra candles on hand just in case!)
- Mugwort Smudge Bundle - Divination & Communication
- Fireproof surface.
Step 1: Warm up an Old World Ritual Candle between the palm of your hands. The wax needs to be warm enough to easily adhere about 1/2 teaspoon of the Oracle Ritual Blend. It is crucial that the ritual blend adheres and burns throughout the ritual! Light the candle as you audibly welcome the ancestor into your space. Welcome them as if they are about to enter your home. Say their name, say you have missed them and that you wish to communication with them.
- If not using a photograph, place the candle next to your chosen alternative ancestral tool.
Step 3: Position yourself so that you can gaze into the ancestors eyes (or alternative ancestral tool) while looking at the outer edge of the flame. Your gaze should soften and become out of focus.
Your own senses of sight and sound will drown out for just a few seconds.
You may suddenly get the chills and feel as though a cold breeze just passed you.
This is perfectly normal. By this point you will feel the room drop a few degrees.
Step 4: Light the Mugwort Smudge Bundle from the flame of the candle. Quietly ask the ancestor(s) to come join you and begin asking them questions, as you would in the physical form.
Scents will begin coming through a this point. Your aunts perfume? Your grandfathers cigars?
Step 5: Start writing down any mental impressions, sounds, scents or ideas that come through your mind. Don't overthink them in the moment, simply start writing. It will all make sense in time!
Step 6: The candle burns for approximately 20-30 minutes, depending on the temperature in the room, possible drafts and the amount of Oracle Ritual Blend used. If choosing to extend the ritual, warm up another candle between the palms of your hands dust another candle with the Oracle Ritual Blend. It is crucial that the ritual blend adheres and burns throughout the ritual! Light it from the original candle and place on top of or alongside the original candle.
Step 7: As the candle comes close to extinguishing itself, thank your ancestor and graciously tell them that it is now time for them to return to the spirit world.
Step 8: Walk outside and leave the food/drink offering to sit out overnight. In the morning, pour or bury the offering into the Earth.