Everyone is impacted by Mercury Retrograde to varying degrees, all based on the position of Mercury in your natal chart at the moment you were born. Having a natal chart reading with an experienced astrologer will help you understand Mercury's importance in your life and how it will impact you during its retrograde.
For the majority of people (myself included), Mercury Retrograde is a very unpleasant time. Between constant technical difficulties, miscommunication, and change of travel plans, these are the most unproductive stretches of time throughout the year.
What To Avoid During Mercury Retrograde:
- International travel, particularly to conflict-stricken countries. Now is not the time for extreme cultural contrast.
- Confrontations and difficult conversations. Keep the drama or special requests to a bare minimum.
- Do not ask for a raise, do not go to couples counseling, and do not try to solve problems with family members. Communication will be at its weakest point until a week after Mercury Retrograde.
- Do not file important paperwork. Do not file your taxes (or even prepare paperwork), do not file divorce papers, and do not sign important documents.
- Avoid large purchases, such as homes or cars. And if you must, please triple-check all contracts!
- Medical treatments are safe during this time, but be prepared for scheduling delays.
- Clerical errors are prevalent during this time, so verify (and re-verify) your prescriptions to make sure you were prescribed the correct product and dosage!
What is a Mercury Retrograde Pre-Shadow?
Mercury Retrograde pre-shadow is when you can expect miscommunications and technical glitches to begin ramping up. Car repairs on the horizon? Submitting new construction plans for approval? Court date? Salary negotiations? Avoid unpleasant delays and misunderstandings; make sure to complete everything before the pre-shadow date!
2019 Mercury Retrograde Dates:
The first Mercury Retrograde of 2019 pre-shadow begins February 19th, 2019
- Mercury goes Retrograde on March 5th, 2019. Time to slow down and pay close attention to the 'What to Avoid' list above.
- Mercury goes direct on March 28th, 2019. But don't forget to triple-check everything just yet! For many people, a boomerang effect makes the week after Mercury direct even worse.
- Mercury post-shadow will impact us until April 16th, 2019.
The second Mercury Retrograde of 2019 begins with the pre-shadow on June 20th, 2019
- Mercury goes Retrograde on July 7th, 2019
- Mercury goes direct on July 31st/August 1st, 2019 (depending on where you are on Earth)
- Mercury ends the Post-Shadow on August 15th, 2019
The final Mercury Retrograde of 2019 begins the pre-shadow on October 11th, 2019
- Mercury goes Retrograde on Samhain night of October 31st, 2019
- Whether you are planning to attend a Halloween party or are performing an Ancestral Spirit Communication Ritual, plan ahead! Delays, unexpected glitches, and (non-spirit) miscommunications are to be expected.
- Mercury Retrograde has no impact on spirit communication or ancestral rituals. Confidently move forward with ancestral communication rituals, or anything else your heart desires. Just be sure to have a spare matchbook on hand, as Mercury Retrograde can make you forget that the old lighter you have lying around is very low on lighter fluid.
- Mercury goes direct on November 20th, 2019
- Mercury ends the post-shadow on December 7th, 2019
Mercury Retrograde Ritual
A Mercury Ritual can negate the unpleasantness of Mercury Retrograde by energetically moving the influences of the planet forward. By strengthening the temporary Mercurial weaknesses, you can safely pass through these astrological events without a scratch, an annoyance, or a delay! View step-by-step Mercury Retrograde Ritual instructions here.
Questions? Comment below!