Inspired by my occult studies in Iceland, this Old World Witchcraft adapted ritual utilizes Old Norse sigils for bravery. This is an excellent ritual to perform on a Full Moon and, if desired, can easily be done in a celebratory fashion with a trusted fellow Witch friend.
This ritual is to be performed on the night of the Full Moon.
You Will Need:
- 2 Old World Ritual Candles
- Viking Ritual Blend: Inner Strength, Courage & Protection
- Smudge Bundle of Your Choice - choose one from this list:
- Old World Floral Smudge Bundle - Cleansing, Protection, Love & Full Moon Blessings
- Mugwort Smudge Bundle - Divination & Communication - If you need courage to speak up, choose Mugwort.
- Juniper Smudge Bundle - New Beginnings & Blessings
- Glass of mead, ale or red wine in a fire-resistant glass (not plastic!)
- If a non-alcoholic beverage is necessary, choose a fermented beverage such as kombucha. The brand 'Brew Dr. Kombucha', widely available at Whole Foods and health food stores, is an excellent choice. Their 'Happiness' flavor is very neutral and is reminiscent of a light lager beer.
- 8"x8" square of plain paper
- Pen or pencil
- Matches or lighter
- Fireproof ritual surface, large enough to safely accommodate the paper.
- Very small cotton or velvet pouch
This ritual needs to be perfomed near a window (or skylight) facing the Full Moon. Alternatively, this ritual may be performed in the privacy of your backyard under the Full Moon.
Step 1: Draw the Old Norse Courage Sigils (below) on your sheet of paper. The left sigil should be on one side, the right sigil on the other. It is crucial that you draw these by hand. They do not need to be perfect, but they do neeed to be yours! Do not print.
Step 3: Lay the 2 Old World Ritual Candles on top of the front sigil. Rolling them slowly back and forth over the sigil, allowing the energy to penetrate to the beeswax. In your minds eye, visualize the sitation in which you are specifically desiring more courage. See yourself being brave, determined and unstoppable.
Step 4: While the candles lay on the front facing sigil, dust them with about 1/2 teaspoon of the Viking Ritual Blend. Slowly roll them back and forth, allowing the ritual blend to firmly bind to the wax. In your minds eye, visualize the sitation in which you are specifically desiring more courage. See yourself being brave, determined and unstoppable.
Step 5: Light 1 Old World Ritual Candle, hold it at a 45-degree angle directly at the top end of the sigil (see illustration below) to create a small pool of wax (3-4 drops of wax will do). Stick the candle directly into the pool of wax and hold it for about 5 seconds, until the center hardens just a bit and the candle is standing upright without any assistance.
Note: It may take you a couple of times to get the hang of this, but once you do, it will become a permanent part of your ritual repertoire.
Step 7: Place the (filled) beverage glass in the center of the sigil (as illustrated below).
Step 9: Allow the candles to burn all the way down.
If the candles set the sigil on fire, take that as a good sign, for it signifies the energies have been fully absorbed into the elixir. Do not remove the glass from the sigil until the fire has completely put itself out.
Note: Do not try to force or manipulate the candles to burn one way or another. Allow nature to take its force and serve as a divination tool.
Step 10: Once the glass is cool enough to handle, gaze up at the Full Moon and drink the beverage. Bottoms up!
Step 11: Place the remnants of the ritual inside the small pouch. Carry it with you for 29 days. At the end of the 29th day, bury the remnants (without the pouch) at the base of a mature tree, preferably a spruce or any evergreen.
Questions? We would love to hear from you. Comment below!
Love & Magick,